Research Tutorials Abroad (RTA)
In collaboration with the three Title VI area studies centers, this program provides an opportunity for UF faculty to take undergraduate students to their international field site for students to participate in their primary research project abroad.
Full time faculty (Adjuncts and visiting faculty are not eligible)
Accompanying 2-4 undergraduate students to the proposed international destination for an approximate three-week experience.
Amount of Award
Up to $12,000 for one selected RTA per geographic region (Africa, Asia/Middle East, Europe, and Latin America)
Monday February 19th, 2024
Application package includes:
- Complete Application Form
- A 1–2-page proposal, outlining the anticipated research project and how students would get involved with it. The proposal should provide opportunities in places that are not likely to be feasible with a traditional study abroad program
- A budget detailing expected travel costs, such as airfare, accommodation and per diem. (Please note that we will pay up to 62% of the intl. state department per diem rate of your destination.)
Application Submission Process
UFIC will support one RTA for each of the Area Studies Centers.
- Applications must be submitted to the respective Area Studies Center Directors, who will rank all applications and forward to UFIC for final selection. Faculty are encouraged to consult with the Center Directors as well as Susanne Hill as they plan their proposed RTA.
- UFIC will also support one RTA for another region of the world, e.g., Asia, Middle East. Applications for another world region should be submitted directly to Susanne Hill, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Commitment to spending a minimum of three weeks and typically no more than three months continuously in residence at the foreign site. The program may consider a longer duration if there is strong justification, and the students have supplemental funding to support the additional costs. Students must be actively engaged in research or learning that directly contributes to their major.
- Upon return, students must submit a comprehensive trip report that details their activity, research goals, the collaborative experience and how the research contributes to the development of scholarly output.
- Faculty must also submit a short report that highlights the achievements and potential partnerships going forward.
Application Submission Process
UFIC will support one RTA for each of the Area Studies Centers. (The centers may also conduct their own RTA award process.)
- Applications must be submitted to the respective Area Studies Center Directors. Faculty are encouraged to consult with the Center Directors as well as Susanne Hill as they plan their proposed RTA.
- UFIC will also support one RTA for another region of the world, e.g., Asia, Middle East. Applications for another world region should be submitted directly to Susanne Hill, email@example.com
UF International Center: Susanne Hill, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Center for African Studies: Miles Larmer, Director, email@example.com
Center for European Studies: Lenka Bustikova, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Center for Latin American Studies: Carlos de la Torre, Director, email@example.com