International students and scholars who are employed in the U.S. need to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) to receive payment for their work. The number assigned to you is permanent. If you previously applied and received a number, there is no need to do a new SSN application.
For international students and scholars hired at the University of Florida, the Social Security Administration (SSA) is currently requiring all applications be submitted to UFIC’s Support Services Office first. Support Services provides guidance to international students and scholars to facilitate a smooth application process, making sure that they have the necessary materials to apply. Once all the student’s documents are submitted, Support Services requests the student appointment at the local SSA office in Gainesville and send you an email once the appointment information is received.
Requirements and Process for Obtaining a Social Security Number
- You must have an assistantship appointment, paid job offer or paid internship requiring CPT authorization, in order to apply for an SSN.
- You may apply for the SSN no earlier than 30 days prior to the employment start date.
- If you have previously applied and have lost or misplaced your SSN card please contact email@example.com for guidance.
SSN Application Process
The applicant should assemble the following materials and email copies of them to Support Services at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Completed SS 5 Application form
- Completed SSA Questionnaire for Non-US Citizens
- This document must be filled out according to the instructions on page 2.
- Employment Offer Letter (from the hiring department, when UF is the employer for assistantships/fellowships; from the hiring company for paid internships or other on campus employment.) This letter must:
- Be an original letter on employer letterhead, signed and dated by the supervisor/HR representative
- Include the Employer Identification Number (EIN) for tax purposes
- Include a current date, the prospective employee’s Given and Family/Surname
- Provide the prospective employee’s position/job title, the start date and end date (if known), and number of hours expected to work per week
- Include the supervisor’s name, title, and telephone number
- Additionally, for Off-Campus employment (such as paid internships):
- Provide the exact physical address (street, suite # if any, city, state, and zip/postal code) of where the work will be conducted
- Provide a general description of the work duties (if the company does not include the duties in the offer letter, an addendum to the offer letter must be provided)
- SSN Student Authorization Letter (from UFIC)
- If you are a new student with a new assistantship/fellowship, complete all check in requirements. Your authorization letter will be provided with your CA I-20 .
- For paid internships, complete the CPT work authorization process online. Your authorization letter will be provided with your CPT I-20.
- For on campus employment your letter will be provided when you are notified by Support Services to pick up your copies.
- Valid Continued Attendance (CA) I-20
- Valid Passport, with F1 visa, Canadian citizens need not have an F1 visa.
- Printout of I-94 Record- most recent entry into US: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
Please email all the above listed documents to the office of International Student Support Services at (email@example.com ).
- Include all attachments in the same email. Put Social Security Application in the subject line of your email so that it is easily identifiable.
- Once your email is received, we will print/copy what you will need to take to the SSA office.
- When we have compiled your copies, we will request the in-person appointment with the SSA office.
- Once your appointment time is confirmed with the SSA office, Support Services will email the day and time of the appointment.
- Once you receive the email from Support Services, please go to the UFIC-HUB office to pick up your packet during their open hours, from 8 am to 1 pm, and from 2 pm to 5 pm on weekdays.
- If you have any questions about this SSN application process, please direct your inquiry to the office of International Student Support Services at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Once the application is processed
Your SSN card will be mailed directly to the address you provide. It is a heavy paper card, NOT a plastic card, which can be easily overlooked or lost. Please keep it in a safe place.
The card must be presented to the employing department (if within UF) or the company (if paid internship) for completion of the payroll process. You do not need to present your card to UFIC or Support Services.
In the event the SSN card is lost, the applicant will need to apply for a replacement card. Please reach out to email@example.com for guidance.