|Spanish & Portuguese Studies
|College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
|Third Party Provider: Linguameeting
Students in language courses meet virtually in small groups to practice conversation skills with native language coaches residing in Latin America or Spain.
- Increased oral proficiency and improved student confidence
- Compare and contrast cultural practices.
- Determine the cultural interdependencies between the Latin America, Spain, and the US.
- Expand global perspectives on a language acquisition and daily life.
- Develop cultural self-awareness and communicate effectively across cultures through working virtually with native speakers residing in their country of origin.
Asynchronous Activities:10 hours
Individual Work: 5 hours
Learning Management Systems: Canvas discussions
Message Boards/Video boards: VoiceThread
Student assignments fall under three categories: the digital textbook/workbook, asynchronous multi-media activities in VoiceThread, synchronous conversations via virtual exchange with native language coaches. The sequence is that students complete vocabulary and grammatical tutorials and practice in the digital textbook/workbook. Then, students complete the VoiceThread activities to develop some automaticity and spontaneous response ability with open-ended prompts. Finally, student schedule their 30-minute live session with the coaches to practice conversation in real time. After completing the sequence, student provide a weekly reflection in a discussion post.