Employment is available only to students who are in good academic standing and maintain their non-immigrant status. With the exception of work on the UF campus, F-1 students need approval from an international student advisor (ISA) or USCIS, depending on the circumstances, before they may accept employment. Students in J-1 status must have written authorization from an international student advisor before beginning employment. It is very important that the student does not work without authorization. International students may not be self-employed prior to graduation.

Employment opportunities for international students are limited by regulations of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of State (DOS). Employment includes but is not limited to on campus, off campus, part time, full time, paid, unpaid, volunteer, shadowing, externships, internships, co-ops, etc. The student should contact their ISA prior to engaging in any activity on campus which is more than 20 hours per week and prior to engaging in any off campus activity, regardless of the hours per week, and whether it is paid or unpaid/volunteer.

This section presents a brief introduction to the following situations, primarily as they apply to students in F-1 and J-1 status.

To learn about employment visas, please here.