|Riya Chakraborty||School of Teaching & Learning||College of Education|
|Partner Faculty||Department||Partner Institution|
|Hilary Wade||Foreign Language Department||Universidad del Norte (Colombia)|
This project aims to give ESOL teaching experience to students from the University of Florida (UF) and expose English language learners at Universidad del Norte (Uninorte) to English speakers with different accents, as well as a wider exposure to different teaching styles. There will also be a great opportunity for intercultural exchange related to discussion activities, and students will be able to become more aware of socio-cultural differences. The hope is that students will finish the virtual exchange with more confidence regarding their abilities to effectively communicate with students (and teachers) from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
University of Florida
- Students will demonstrate the ability to identify and apply aspects of curriculum planning and implementation for ELLs.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to identify and implement effective teaching strategies and assessments for ELLs.
- Students will be able to identify strategies that will increase comprehension for and encourage higher-order thinking skills for ELLs through instructional adaptation to facilitate academic success in learners from diverse backgrounds using a standard based ESOL lesson plan.
Universidad del Norte
- Students will demonstrate the ability to discuss Abstract Topics: Small Group Discussion regarding Media Representation Tests and Movies that provide examples of diversity and cultural representation.
- Students will practice pronouncing a specific set of IPA sounds assigned to the Uninorte curriculum: The UF students will teach the Uninorte students various pronunciation lessons.
Shared Learning Outcomes
- Students will develop cultural self-awareness and demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
- Students will expand their knowledge of global perspectives on teaching and learning.
Virtual Guest Speaker
Asynchronous Activities: 6 hours
Individual Work: 6 hours
Messaging Applications: WhatsApp (Instagram/Facebook)
Learning Management Systems (LMS): Canvas, Google Classroom and Blackboard
Collaborative Authoring Platforms: Google Forms, Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets
Message Boards/Video boards: Flipgrid
Other: eportfolio, Padlet